Image Map

Meet the Teacher Monday!

B, Becks, & Me - Spring 2011

Hey, y'all!  And welcome to Meet the Teacher Monday!  We're so glad you're here!  Today, we'd love for you to link up with a post all about YOU!  We want to know all the details, so don't be shy ;)

* * * * *

Tell us a little something about you...

I'm Abby, and I blog over at The Inspired Apple and Babbling Abby - which is currently extremely neglected, right along with the laundry and the sink in the bathroom.  Fortunately, we are going to be eating this week because we made a mandatory run to the grocery tonight, less we all subsist on peanut butter for the rest of the week.  Not even peanut butter on bread.  Just peanut butter.  It was getting bad.  School started this past Wednesday and life, as I'm sure you know, can be a little chaotic (and foodless) until you settle back into the routine.

How long have you been teaching?

This is my fourth year teaching.  I taught kindergarten part-time for two years and then started teaching full-time first grade for the 2010-2011 school year.  I *love* first grade.  I had so much fun last year, despite a rocky start, and could see myself staying there for the duration of my teaching career.  Not only are they all kinds of silly and cute, but they have a genuine interest in learning which inspires me to be a better teacher.  Seriously, I just love them! 

You might not know...

Teaching wasn't my initial career choice.  Well, it was in first grade, but by the time I made it to college I decided that money was more important and I pursued a degree in psychology from the University of Kentucky {C-A-T-S!}.  Upon graduation in 2005, I realized that money wasn't so important anymore - not that I was going to make gobs as a psychologist either - and I had a big ol' WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH MY LIFE?! moment.  I spent the summer in deep thought, and decided to go back and get the degree I should have gone after in the first place.  I took as many courses as I could to finish quickly, and then graduated with yet another stinkin' bachelors in 2007.  In the mean time, I got married (2006) and pregnant (2007) and accumulated more student loans that I'd like to admit (2006 to present. HA!).  I started grad school in the spring of 2010 and will finish with a masters in administration this fall.  PTL and amen!  Soooooo finished taking classes! 

What are you looking most forward to this school year?

I'm most looking forward to a fresh start.  I have a renewed energy for teaching and am excited for a new batch of firsties.  I looped with my kindergartners to first grade last year, and - while I loved them dearly - it was definitely a little trying at times!  We were like a family - and all my little pumpkins knew just which buttons to push to make their school momma running for her fourth Diet Coke.  By noon.  However, I've totally forgot how little they are at the beginning of first grade and how much you have to "train" them!  It's like learning to teach first grade all over again! 

What do you need to improve?

I would like to work on a few things.  First of all, I want to manage my time better before and after school so I don't wind up in my classroom on the weekend. As you can probably imagine, with a name like Babbling Abby, I like to talk and spend a lot of time gabbing to my teacher friends when I should be working!

 Secondly, I want to accomplish the Daily 5 and CAFE.  I'm starting tomorrow and am all kinds of nervous that I'm going to forget something!

Lastly, I want to place an increased focus on mathematics.  I'm *extremely* literacy-oriented and love all things reading and writing, which means I don't give math the attention that I should.  Loving math has always been a struggle of mine, but I'm going to try harder this year!

What teaching supplies can you *not* live without?

Love my Flair pens and Mr. Sketch markers!  They are my go-to writing tools and make everything look pretty and smell good ;) 

Of course, I keep a healthy stash of Diet Coke under my desk - and a few extra in my bag - to ensure that I a) stay awake and b) remain calm under all circumstances.  Seriously, it's a sad, sad addiction.

I heart big chart paper.  It's not necessarily the greenest supply, but oh how I love a fresh sheet!

My {soon-to-be} SmartBoard.  It's not installed yet, but I know I will love it!

The Palm Pilot I use for Dibels, though word has it we're using iPads next year!  How fun!

Books, books, and more books!  It's another crazy addiction!

* * * * *

So, now, it's time to link up using the button that says "Add Your Link" below!  If you'd like to use the questions I used above, go for it!  Or you can write whatever your little heart desires.  No restrictions.  All we ask is that you post something pertinent to the topic of the day (unrelated content will be deleted).

Thanks for playing along! We're so excited to meet you!

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting! I couldn't quite get the blog button to work for some reason, so I just included a text link, hope that's ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUCH FUN! Love the blog design.

    ❤Jodi from...
    ★★The Clutter-Free Classroom★★
    Helping Teachers Get Organized

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet you! Thank for hosting this, it was the perfect inspiration to get me started on really working on my Classroom blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!!

    I was having trouble uploading my link photo..so it's on there twice. Feel free to delete the first one! Sorry!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for hosting! I loved teaching first grade when I was in FL. Sort of wish I had stayed for that reason! Using an ipad for Dibels would be awesome! I need to work on that for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for hosting this week-long party! I was thinking that maybe to make it even better, you guys should request that everyone leave a comment on 3 other people's blogs that link up. What do you think? Everyone LOVES comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are getting iPads for Dibels this year! I'm so excited I can hardly stand it! Our reading teacher has one already and she says we're going to LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Abby when I read your story I thought has she taken over my life? Except I graduated in 1997 from UK (C-A-T-S) with that wonderful psychology degree. I also took time to decide what I wanted to do. This had lead me to teacher special education, become a reading recovery teacher, then to a academic coach, and now to a RTI coach and and special education teacher:) I hope you hop on over and check out my newly started blog as well :) Follow if you like it http://rtiandyou.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is AWESOME!! I am finding so many new blogs to add to my list! Thank you!!
    Live Love Laugh Everyday In Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  10. yay! What a great idea. And I love your new froggy design. I can't wait to see future "blog hoppin'" link ups. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such FUN! Thanks!

    Lori

    http://bee-the-change.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just a thought since almost 300 teachers are participating! Can we do a grade level linky at some point?

    ReplyDelete
  13. cool Im a kindergarten teacher new to this posts. I made a bilingual blog where i will share songs, fingerplays and projects I have done or translated both in English and Spanish please follow thanks. El kinder de Maestra Nieves

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for these "link ups!" As a "newbie" blogger I get so much good information and so many good ideas all in one spot! When I am a bit more established (and a lot more confident) I hope to participate and contribute!
    www.storiesandsongsinsecond.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete