Image Map

More Common Core--Literature Expectations


If you are like me, you don't have a lot of time, so every bit of your time counts.  I have been researching and trying to figure out what the Common Core Tests are for 2nd grade and finally found a list.  I was checking them out on Amazon when it occurred to me that you, out their in reading land, are probably in the same predicament.  You are torn between spending time researching, learning, making activities, etc. and spending time with your husband or wife and kids.  These days, there is more work than every to take home and all sort of reports that have to be turned in by their deadline.  So, I thought I would just include the links that I used to purchase my Common Core Texts and Teaching Resources for you here in one spot.

First up, we have the beloved Charlotte's Web, which at my school, has traditionally been a 3rd grade text to read aloud.  I also went ahead and ordered the video so that we could compare the book to a movie.  Don't forget there is also the movie with Dakota Fanning in it.  I am on the hunt for a place to purchase this, but haven't found it yet!








Next up is The Stories Julian Tells.  I can't find this book at any of the online bookstores, but did stumble upon a teacher's guide for it.  If you click on the link of the book below, you can go there to get the teacher's helper.  If you find out where you can order this book, please let me know!





Then, we have My Father's Dragon.  This is a book that I am not at all familiar with, but look forward to getting my order in so that I can read it.  The cover looks fascinating!




We also have A Drop of Water which looked like, to me at least, a great book to use during water cycles, but it also looked very technical.  I'm not sure what to think about this one!





The Story of Ruby Bridges has always been a favorite of mine.  I usually use it with biographies and the kids love it.  I usually have 2-3 kids research her story each year because they love the ending.  There is also a Disney movie about Ruby that is really good.  I included its link here also.






 I was also happy to see this book, From Seed to Plant on the list.  I love any book by Gail Gibbons.  You can be guaranteed that this book will be colorful and informative.  There is a teacher's helper also that you can get to help with planning!





It is safe to say that I will have a huge box coming from Amazon soon!!  But, I figure it will be a good investment.  After all, I am investing in children's lives!  I hope that this post helps you shop swiftly, cheaply, and thoroughly!!!

If you want to know more about future Common Core literature, click below and head to my blog!!  I have several different posts regarding Common Core and literature.


5 comments:

  1. I am confused about where you got this list of texts. There are no prescribed texts to use for Common Core. Anything goes as long as you meet the standard. Just because some author has created an assist, doesn't mean you have to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sassygirl-
    The first grade Common Core standards has suggested books for each standard. I'm pretty sure it's on the national. (I have a handy flip book that I use all the time, and I know there's literature listed in there for each domain.

    Angie
    Rulin' the Roost

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Stories Julian Tells is a wonderful book! Even my first graders loved the stories. I bought a set of 6 a few years ago form Scholastic.com. Love that book!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://literaturerat.blogspot.co.uk/ cool blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Stories Julian Tells is available on Scholastic. They also have all the 2-3 exemplars as one pack.

    ReplyDelete