Image Map

Spring Fever...do you feel me?

Hey! This is Megan from Kindergals to talk to you about SPRING FEVER. We are two days away from spring break and my children think we are one step away from summer vacation. I found myself taking 4 steps backwards today and reviewing our class rules and behavior expectations.

Now, there are tons of behavior systems and plans floating around out there in the teaching community. Some involve clips, some tickets, and some neither. I think the key here is that behavior management should be private and consistent. I don’t think a plan in and of itself is bad or good. It’s really the manner in which the teacher delivers her plan and carries it out.
I remember the days of giving check marks and writing their names on the board. I remember the days when the principal had a piece of “wood” that he used. Not so sure either of these systems would work with my thinking, but most others do.
Slide23_thumb[3]
As you can see from the picture, our clip chart hangs on the back of the door that leads out of our classroom. Why? Because it is no one’s business! We don’t need to air our dirty laundry. We handle our own discipline and others don’t need to know about it. In case you aren’t familiar with the clip system here’s how it works:
*Everyone starts on Right On Rhino.
*During the day, the kids can move their clips up or down as directed by the teacher.
*At the end of the day, parents are sent home a card that shows what animal their child FINISHED the day on. No need to report all the in between!
So how do we use it?
*Kids can move up for doing something extra—being kind, helping a friend, going out of their way, getting back on task after moving a clip down.
*If we are working in a small group and a child is having a difficult time doing what we are asking them to do (behavior not academic of course), we can very quietly tell him to go move his clip down.
*When, he comes back to the table, we remind him of what we are expecting to see.
*If he redirects himself and gets busy with the expectations, we can tell him we are so proud that he can make good choices and that he can move his clip up.
Now, to be honest I was very skeptical at first. But, guys it is amazing! The kinesthetic moving of the clip helps redirect the behavior.

I just recently picked up a copy of The Seven Habits of Happy Kids!  I read through the whole book last night before going to bed. I cannot wait to read my children some of the stories. It is a great resource to teach our children habits that will help them become happy kids, teens, and adults! I just bought the adult copy for myself and I can't wait to dig into it over spring break!

Here is a toast to all teachers battling spring fever in their classroom....we can make it!

1 comment:

  1. I have been on the fence about a clip chart but with the class I have this year it is soo needed for all of the reasons you stated , unfortunately our PBIS team won't allow it and we have completely struggled all year
    Karen

    ReplyDelete