Book Study: Worksheets Don’t Grow Dendrites: Chapter 19&20

We are wrapping up the book study today! We had plans to finish a little earlier but you know how the end of the year goes :)


We are finishing up with Chapters 19&20! 


This year was the first year that we have done this Care Club where students meet once a month after school. Students painted chalkboards for a school in Kenya, sang Christmas carols at a nursing home, collected canned goods, and many other projects. It was so fun to be a part of it and to see the kids going above and beyond to help others. 

I know that in terms of my actual classroom, I need to get better with this strategy. I need to bring in more real life examples and expose my kids to more of the outside world. I think this was a step in that direction! 


Chapter 20 was all about writing..which I know looks very different in each grade level. 


I love writer's workshop in Kindergarten. Watching them grow from barely being able to write to forming letters to writing sentences. I keep various writing examples from August to May and then bind it together at the end of the year. 



I am a big fan of Lucy Calkin's Unit of Study. I do a little mix of the Units of Study and I really love Deanna and Deedee's writing units! I like to do a little mix of both. 





If you have been following along with our book study, then you can do your final link up here! 
 -Elizabeth 




1 comment:

  1. I haven't commented very much on the Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites blog posts, and I haven't linked up any of my own blog posts. However, I must say that you guys inspired me to purchase and read the book and it has had a positive impact on me and my classroom. I have started reading other books as well, and as I read these books, I find that the research, theories, and proof that these authors speak of is reiterated in the book, Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites! Thank you for doing this book study!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Jasper Roberts Consulting - Widget